You are here:   Home
Register   |  Login
 The Taylor Family Blog Minimize
Author: miket Created: Sunday, February 01, 2009 1:02 AM RssIcon
The Kia Sedona Project
By miket on Monday, November 02, 2009 10:58 PM

It Lives!

By miket on Sunday, October 18, 2009 11:26 PM

 Well, had some time and good weather to work on the Kia this weekend.  Got the other head off the engine and inspected the cylinders on the front side there, everything looks okay.  I was really shooting for putting this thing back together this weekend, but I started feel like crap on Sunday and had to give it up.  Hopefully we have a little more good weather coming our way so I can get this thing back together and see if there are any other problems that need to be resolved.  (I'm worried that the fuel injectors may have problems, or something else I haven't been able to rule out yet)

By miket on Monday, October 12, 2009 11:50 PM

Got some parts for the Kia here, need some good weather to put them in!  New set of heads and a full set of head gaskets.

By miket on Sunday, September 27, 2009 4:49 PM

I finally got one of the heads off the engine so I could see the valves for myself.  Yep, they are bent, but the head and the cylinders appear to have survived well.  Here are some pictures:

More to come...

By miket on Sunday, August 02, 2009 11:24 PM

And the layers continue ot come off...  Slowly, but still, progress!  Here, the rear valve cover has been removed and it would appear that the lifters and camshafts are fine.  Next step will be taking all the fuel injection components off so that i can remove the head of the engine.

Kia Sedona - More layers come off...

By miket on Sunday, February 08, 2009 10:30 PM

I've been gradually taking the Kia Sedona apart.  I've only exposed the timing belt over the overhead cams, so I can't say yet if the timing belt has slipped, but I'll be getting to that soon.  On the bottom side of the car, I've removed some of the exhaust components to expose the catalytic converts.  There is apparently one on each exhaust manifold plus a larger one later down the line.  Also, there are 4 oxygen sensors, two upstream of the catalytic converts and two downstream of the converters.  It's pretty likely that all or some of the oxygen sensors are bad from excess/long term exposure to unburned fuel.  Same with the catalytic converts, but I'll need to do further analysis before I start throwing money at parts....

By miket on Sunday, February 01, 2009 1:04 AM

Mike took his first real look at the Kia Sedona's state. Looks like the Grand Junction Kia service center left the car with some assembly required. The Engine cover and air intake were inside the car with their respective bolts. The front muffler manifold was detached as well as the muffler mount. The screws/bolts for which are missing in action, so I'll be having to contact that service center again to see if they still have them or have hidden them somewhere in the car.

The car runs terribly and sounds like a Harley motorcycle.

Read more to see the video...

By miket on Sunday, February 01, 2009 12:56 AM

Al and Mike drove back to Grand Junction to retrieve the Kia Sedona after the Kia service center there replaced the spark plug wire for Cylinder 5, all the spark plugs, and determined that the catalytic converter had collapsed.  They also believed that the oxygen sensors were probably toast as well.  Unfortunately, they wanted so much for these parts and we could get them myself for so much less, we told them to stop working on it and we would just tow it back to Colorado Springs.  So, we rented a tow dolly and dragged the thing back to the Springs over the mountains.  We made a stop in Denver for some Krispy Kreme donuts. ;-)

By miket on Sunday, February 01, 2009 12:53 AM

Al and Mike drove to Richfield, UT to retrieve the Kia Sedona from a repair shop there.  Unfortunately, it was not entirely "fixed" and we had to spend the night there while they attempted to fix it by replacing some coils and a belt.  This forced us to spend the night there in a Hotel waiting, and the car was still running terribly, misfiring on cylinder 5 according to the computer.  The shop was convinced that it was just a wire needing to be replaced, but they didn't have one.  We all felt that the car might be driveable, either all the way home, or at least to the closest Kia dealer on the way in Grand Junction.  Grand Junction is where we limped it to, and we just barely made it.